Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Perfect Playlist: part I

These days my life revolves around music and apple is my music source. I have songs on my main music pod which is a large iPod - this holds most of my music though it is bursting from the capacity. I also have the iPad and iPhone which of course I have to have some of my new or necessity music on it. And then my running small iPod has about 60 songs and 1gb to keep me motivated while I sweat and dread every step I take.
With the numerous devices comes the magical "playlist" - one of the greatest inventions and successes that apple has marketed. I grew up with vinyl barely remembering the 8-track (I am not that old), but with vinyl came the ultimate cassette playlist - how many hours after school did I work on my tape that I would bring out on a Friday or Saturday so that I could get airtime and proudly boast any new albums I bought that week etc...and similar to the cassette playlist, the mp3 playlist is a lot more easy to manage. I think I have about 30 on my main iPod, everything from songs to sleep, lounge or dinner music, classic 2am piss up songs, new albums that have a similar sort of jangly pop middle class groove to them to listen to during my working days...as well as my must have life changing songs from when music stole my life. The beauty of the electronic playlist is that you are not restricted to 45min per side or 90min total. Again, some die hard vinyl junkies will contest that with the restrictions and limitations, one made stricter judgements on what would be added...I could also romance this assessment.
I do feel that with the iPod playlist, I am more brutal with what I want to hear, my attention span is shorter and I can spend more time pressing the arrow rather than listening to a song in its entirety? Maybe I am on the cusp of the ADD(attention deficit disorder) generation?
So yes, I love having all my music in one box, happily going from Nico to Bombay Bicycle Club and all the inbetweens...but some how the romance of sitting still purposely waiting for the next crisp sound of vinyl starting the next song that I purposefully chose to follow has been forever retired in my music museum...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:London,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment